What is responsible tourism?
The Cape Town Declaration recognizes that Responsible Tourism takes a variety of forms, it is characterized by travel and tourism which:
- minimizes negative economic, environmental and social impact
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life changes
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues
- provide access for people with disabilities and the disadvantaged
*is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence
Behavior can be more or less responsible and what is responsible in a particular place depends upon environment and culture.